Thursday, March 05, 2009

Flights of Fancy

At the time I composed this, Mar. 5, the little chicks were getting quite adept at flying. When I put them it the box to transport them from place to place I need to quickly cover the top. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they grow.
They were a little over a week on the 5th they had their wing feathers and about 1/2" long tail feathers.
It is still too early to determine whether they will be hens or roosters.
I candled the eggs and it looks like none of them are developing. I was afraid of that. The first day the thermometer got up to 104. The book says it should only get up to 102. I think that might be what killed the other 7 eggs that Luna had been sitting on.
I am still going to incubate them the full 21 days as I am far from an expert on candling. I do it just to see if I am right or not. I candled Brennan's and I think 1 is growing, 1 is not and the 3rd I had trouble seeing through the shell so I am not sure about.
Frizzee has laid an egg for the past 2 days so I placed each one in the incubator. I have never seen her mate with Pat, but since it is Brennan's chicken I thought I would give it a try.

No comments: