Sunday, March 01, 2009

Little Ones are doing Great!

I found this Draft in my posts. I do not know why I never posted it.

Luna was outside the pen this morning and did not seem to be able to figure out how to get back in. I walked outside to she her pacing the perimeter desperately trying to find a way back in. Evidently it was easier to fly out than to fly back in.
All five little chicks seem to be doing quite well.The first four already have wing feathers emerging.
The picture is a little blurry. The chicks do not stay still for long.
If you look closely you can see all the new wing feathers. They all have cute little tail feathers emerging as well.
Eve is the little yellow chick to the right. The yellow chick on the left is the first hatchling. I do not have any names chosen for the others.
I am still keeping the other 7 eggs under a light. One of them rocks occasionally, although I did not see any movement today.
Last night we came home and the wind had blown so hard the pen had collapsed! Mama Luna had it all under control though. She had all the little babies safely tucked under her. Gary helped me move the pen into the shed and I gathered everyone up and put them where they would be safe. This morning the wind had died down and I put them back on the porch. Everyone seems happy and no worse for the wear.
The first 4 chicks are one week old today. Eve will be 1 week old tomorrow.

No comments: