Thursday, February 26, 2009

The New Family

This is my very first attempt at You Tube. This has been such a gratifying experience I just wanted to share it.

I have been taking other short videos. I will try to get them up as well. Upon checking on the new family I was pleasantly surprised to see two new faces.
A couple of hours after I took this video I checked on the new mom and her new family to find all of them out of the planter and running around the little pen I had set up for them. I counted not three but four; one yellow with black spots, one golden brown, two black!
I had not thought they leave the nest so quickly. Eight eggs were left without a mom. I scooped them up and ran into the house. I am not sure when I last moved so quickly. I covered them with a towel, ran out to my toy store and grabbed a small box, brought it inside, lined it with aluminum foil, ran upstairs,, grabbed a lamp, ran into the toy room, grabbed some books, then set up the whole affair on top of the dryer. Now the nest is empty except for the remains of the eggshells.
Within 2 hours following this mad dash, one of the eggs had a little hole pecked out.
I spent most of the rest of the night checking on my new little hatchling. I finally went to bed at midnight with not much progress made in the hatching process. Around 6 am I woke up to the sound of very excited chirping!
What a glow to my heart.
Footnote: while I made all those checks two other eggs showed movement. Who knows they may hatch as well. It all depends.

No comments: