Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hatch Day!!

Today was supposed to be the day the eggs hatched.
I was a little less than optimistic at the chance of hatchlings, but as I walked by Luna today a little yellow head was poking out from under her wing. Judging by the dryness of its feathers and how active it was it may have hatched yesterday.
Here is mama and her new baby.

There was one point that Luna stood for a couple of seconds and I saw another chick! This one was a fresh hatchling, still quite wet. I have not seen it since. Until tomorrow I will just have to be happy with these pics.
It is hard to see in the pic but the egg tooth is right on the tip of the little chicks beak. If you click on the picture you can see it better.
This sweetie hatched from one of Luna's eggs, but she bears the markings of not being a pure White Leghorn chick, she has little black speckles on her back.
I bought a little incubator in case Luna leaves the nest before all the eggs hatch. She is sitting on the last eggs that Lady laid before she died and I would like to see if they will hatch.

No comments: