Friday, February 13, 2009

Tragedy


The chickens had only been out to free range for an hour this afternoon when I heard the commotion and went to the window. My heart stopped as I saw a strange dog shaking Jane, my Black Jersey Giant.
I ran outside only to find her limp lifeless body, still warm, like the tears rolling down my cheeks. The anger swelled inside and I chased the dog. I felt like I could have killed it if I caught it. (probably not, but I felt like that at the moment.) It ran off of the property and down the railroad tracks.
I rounded the chickens up early to go back into their yard. Lady was not happy about the early round up and decided to fly back over the fence. Fortunately, the others are all too heavy to get enough lift to get over the fence so I only have to deal with one recalcitrant.
Jane had the prettiest eyes of all my chickens. I will miss her.

No comments: